Owning a small business comes with lots of perks…your own hours, being your own boss, and building something meaningful to you.
However, the work of managing and running a small business is also an incredibly stressful endeavor. While stress is understandable, it’s important for your health to reduce tension and anxiety. Neglecting stress management and not taking care of yourself can cause health issues, which will prevent you from performing at your optimum level.
The first step in managing stress is identifying the triggers that cause anxiety to occur. By eliminating or cutting back on these situations, you will feel more calm and relaxed throughout the day. For example, does a particular task, such as accounting, bother you? Hiring an account will leave you with more time to manage other parts of the business, and relieve the stress associated with managing finances.
Ensuring that you are healthy, both mentally and physically will also reduce your daily stress. It’s important to learn these stress management techniques:
- Get a good night’s sleep each night.
- Focus on the positive – use simple mindset shifts for success.
- Eat healthy, avoid greasy meals such as fast food.
- Stay hydrated by maintaining adequate water intake.
- Meditate and practice breathing exercises throughout the day.
- Take vitamins and nutritional supplements, such as fish oil.
- Relieve built up tension through exercise.
- Keep your work environment well organized and clean.
- Take a break from the electronic world. Avoid your computer, tablet, smart-phone and TV and go get some fresh air.
In the end, remember that while stress is a normal part of running a business, it’s important to understand where the stress comes from. Many entrepreneurs are too hard on themselves, constantly comparing their success to the success of others. This may stem from fear of failure. These emotions are healthy and normal, but ultimately cause unnecessary stress and anxiety. Take it easy on yourself, laugh, and appreciate where you are and where you are going. You’ve worked hard on starting up a business – it’s time to congratulate yourself.
Thom Torode is a Morris County based Executive & Business Coach. He has owned over 5 different businesses and is also a licensed facilitator and co-principal for Elevate Your Leaders in NJ. When not helping business owners and their teams create the business and lives they want and need, he can be found following his kids activities.
Sunrise Business Advisors can be reached at 862-219-6890 or info@SBAnow.com